Friday, July 3, 2009

Pictures: assortment.

Pikin Welbodi Program: Our Monday group, waiting for clinic to begin.

Pikin Welbodi: This is how we get our RUTF from our office to the clinic. Unsafe, I know, but Amadu goes "small, small" for the 1-minute ride to the clinic.

Pikin Welbodi: Mass taste test. Yum. Groundnut merecin. ^^

Pikin Welbodi: A boy pikin in the program. I often have trouble remembering each kid we treat, but this one sticks out to me. Not only because he's on the sicker side but also because its his aunt that brings him. His mother died when he was just a few months old. The aunt that brings him has a nursing baby and was wanting to get back to her own child the first week, so I was a bit worried about him continuing to come to the program. I was encouraged and thankful that she brought him this week for the second week of treatment. Yay!

Pikin Welbodi: I also remember this one because I MUAC-screened her and referred her to the program. This one is fussy when we get her weight and length. lol.

Pikin Welbodi: Mother and her 2 pikin (see the one on her back?). Just watching us do our work. ^^

Pikin Welbodi: A father gives his thumbprint of approval on the informed consent form for his child's participation in the program.

Pikin Welbodi: As soon as we distributed the RUTF, the kid wanted it so badly! Yes! A good sign. Its an indicator that she recognizes the RUTF (so she's actually getting it at home) and that she likes it. This kid also increased in weight this week. When I looked at her chart and said "Increase!" The mother said "INCREASE!" with a huge smile and started dancing. She knew that it meant her child was getting better.

Pikin Welbodi: The last pikin to leave Tuesday clinic this week. Waiting to be wrapped on her mother's back, it seems like she saying 'gimme.' What a cutie.

Life in Masiaka: The well being dug next to the office. It was hand-dug. Yes, all of it. TIA - "This Is Africa," as so many people here often say. The workers lower down a course cement for the guy in the well to construct the walls of the well.

Life in Masiaka: Dinner. Bread is 500 Leones and a can of imported baked beans is Le3500. The exchange rate is $1 = Le3200. Dollar Menu from a new perspective.

Life in Masiaka: I would eat this any day. Pineapple so sweet, so ripe that you can eat it to the core. There's nothing to waste. Price of pineapple varies depending on size. Big, juicy ones usually Le5000 but people who like me just give them to me ^^

Life in Masiaka: What the kids in the neighborhood do to impress me. Leaf (finger)bags! Big enough to ornament your finger. I know how to make them now - really easy. No glue, no tape, just one leaf!

Life in Masiaka: Auntie Fanta's shop next to Bo Road at the Maskiaka Junction (which is like "Downtown" Masiaka - a 5 minute walk from the office)is the best place in all of Masiaka to get cold drinks. I get everything from there: my water, col' soft (cold pop), beans, toilet paper, laundry soap, face soap, mayo - everything. So its a popular pit stop for people traveling towards Bo (second largest city in SL). I was here one day when I met Aminata and her mother. I was drinking my Sprite when I saw the little kid and recognized her puffy, edemacious (sp?) face. I asked to see her feet and observed her belly. Her feet had pitting edema and her abdomen was also swollen. Aminata wasn't malnourished - there are tons of other medical conditions that will illicit edema and it was really frustrating that I had no clue what. She and her mother were going to Bo (where Aminata's father works) to get Aminata treatment. She and her mother live in Portloko, but all they did was give her treatment for malaria. This kid obviously had more than malaria. MSF (Doctor's Without Borders) has a great facility in Bo focused on maternal and child health. Hopefully they'll get good, quality care there.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I want a LEAF BAG!!!

Unknown said...

mmm... I rather take a pineapple! a big juicy one.

kasijan said...

삼촌의 어머니 아버지 시절이 떠올리는 글이다. 로이스한테는 할아버지 할머니시대이지만
한국의 60년대 시절에는 도시가 아닌 시골에서는 아프리카와 같이 의료시설을 쉽게 접할 수가 없기 때문에 또는 시설자체가 부족 하기 때문에 아이들 죽음의 문제에 있어서 아이를 잃은 아픔을 가슴에 묻어두고 사는 로아스의 할아버지 할머지 세대가 많은 줄은 삼촌은 안다. 거기서도 상대방의 아픔을 나눌 수 있는 로이스가 되기을 바라며.....둘째삼촌이 한국에서




작는 것에 대해서도 항상 감사하고 주위사람들엑

Mary said...

lois lois lois!! we all love you so much!! good to see you are doing good things in africa :)

<3 <3 <3