Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Meeting the President of Sierra Leone

A couple weeks ago, I was asked by Kathy of the Global Action Foundation to accompany her to Washington, DC to a private meeting with the President of Sierra Leone! I couldn't miss out on an opportunity like this!... so we made the trip down to DC.

During the meeting Kathy introduced GAF and the work the organization was doing in Sierra Leone with the National Organization for Wellbody then introduced me. I had the opportunity to tell him about the work I with severely malnourished children I was doing in Port Loko and about my plans for future work there. Everyone else had business cards and because I didn't I got to leave him a Global Health Forum brochure! President Koroma (center, in blue) was excited about the work we were doing and encouraged us to continue to help the people of Sierra Leone.



Another update: I was recently offered (and happily accepted!) the position of Project Advisor for the TFC building project by the non-profit A Chance for Every Child.

I suppose I didn't blog about this development... but when I was in SL, I met Ed and Adisa from ACEC. ACEC was donating medical supplies to NOW's amputee clinic in Kono. When I met them and heard about their organization's children-focused name, I thought the work I was doing in SL would be interesting for them to hear about so I gave a small presentation about my experieneces and work in SL. At the end of the presentation they suggested that it was a project in which ACEC would be interested in becoming involved. One thing led to another, and several discussions later (which continued in the US), the ACEC Board of Directors decided to move forward with the building and running of a TFC in Masiaka and have invited me on board as Project Advisor. ^^


Stay tuned for a couple of very exciting months!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome Awesome :D

Young NonProfiteer said...

Congratulations Lois!! Keep up the great work.

Hope everything is well back in the States!! Miss you guys^^

Unknown said...

You are amazing unnie!