Monday, June 16, 2008

My first "pikin"... ^^

"Child" in Krio, the common language in Sierra Leone, is "pikin" (pee-keen). The picture above is of the first time I fed Plumpynut to a pikin. The child's mother has passed away and he lives with his grandmother. Early death of the mother is a common contributing factor to malnutrition and we see children at the PHUs often with their grandmother. The picture is pretty small, but you can see the child guiding my finger with Plumpynut to his mouth and the grandmother, if I'm not mistaken, as the smallest smile on her face...

Just an example of some of the work I'm helping out with in the field. I help with obtaining measurements.. the weight, height, and as in the picture above, the mid-uppper arm circumference (the MUAC - "moo-awk").

I leave you with this picture. This is a picture with my first pikin the week after I first met him. He is a pretty demanding pikin.. I had to hold him the entire time because he started to cry every time I put him down.

So ends up you don't have to wait till I get back for pictures! I've resized the pictures so I can upload them relatively easily :D

Enjoy! and leave me comments if you visit ^^

10 comments:

Caroline said...

awww! lois, you angel of hope and bringer of delicious-sounding plumpynut!
your pictures just warm my heart up! :)
i send you and your darling pikins much love~!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Lois!

I remember you talking about being in Sierra Leone at the Lang Center more than a month ago, and now... you're there! I'm happy that things have seemed to work out!

Hansi.

Hyunjoo Lee said...

This is great, Lois! I'm glad that you're able to finally put into action what you had on paper. Nothing but the best for you, girl. ^_^

-juju

Unknown said...

와우!! 진짜 일하는 모습이구나 넘 자랑스럽고 아름이 답다.
사진에는 더위가 어디있는지 보이지가 않네...
모기도 파리도 다 어디 숨었는지..
오늘도 엄만 기도한다. 우리딸 오늘하루도 승리하기를......
사랑한다. 많이 많이..... 샬롬!!!

Heidi Sue said...

How adorable!! and yet sad at the same time. Kids shouldn't be that small :(.

Stephanie Appiah said...

Oh Lois!
I cry tears of joy at how much good you have already done!

Unknown said...

lol I think they look peaceful being with you. Keep up the great work.

Anonymous said...

하이! 아름이
정말 훌륭하고 아름다운 일을 하고 있는 모습이 보기 좋다. 부럽군..
더운 날씨에 고생이 되겠지만, 산 정상에서 보는 아름다운 경치로 고생한 것이 힘들지 않듯이 이번 일을 통해 하나님이 이루어 주실 아름다운 모습을 생각하며 열심히 하고 특히 몸 건강하게 다시 만나게 되길 기도한다.

SP said...

아름아
할머니다. 사랑한다.많이 사랑한단다.
아름아 너 생일 축하한다.
할머니가 너를 위해 기도많이하고있다.
다음에는 전화하여 목소리 듣자.
몸 건강하고 용기를 잊지말아라.
할머니가....

Unknown said...

I LOVE the last picture
hes so cute..