Sunday, June 7, 2009

Progress in Salone

Many things have changed since I've last left Sierra Leone:
Freetown has cleaned up a bit.. I think there's less rubbish stuffed under the gutters on the sides of streets and there are public garbage cans. I think there may be a garbage disposal system here (though I don't know where exactly its all going.. at least its not in the streets)! The Barrie family collects all their garbage in a huge rice sack in the kitchen and a boy comes to collect every so often. The Barrie's home has electricity nearly 24/7 (not a benefit of a public initiative, but the result of being able to tap into a mobile service provider's generator running below the apartment). The family has also gotten satellite cable and we get tons of channels in arabic and tons of British things. I'm really digging BBC Lifestlye. There is also RUNNING WATER... yes! It feels almost too good to be true.. but I'm really not complaining.

There are several things that also haven't changed:
The mosquitoes here still like me.. very much. My mom packed me an assortment of bug repellents. What I've discovered is that the DEET just burns too much. There's this DEET-free repellent called Herbal Armor that seems to be working.. it smells good too!

About work:
Doc and I have sent in my research proposal for ethics clearance from the Sierra Leone department of postgraduate research and studies. We'll be meeting with the Portloko District Medical Officer tomorrow to let him know what we're doing. I've met with Mike and Chelsea Beasley who are starting up the Project Peanut Butter factory here in SL. And the ball on starting the project has started rolling.

More later!

6 comments:

Camilia said...

Sounds like things are getting off to a good start! I'm so glad to here that you've arrived safely and that conditions are more comfortable that you expected :)

Ongoaler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kun Hee said...

Lois, I pray for your staying healthy and strong enough to achieve your project successfully through all the steps . I support you, my dear! Jump, "sky is your limit!"

Unknown said...

Unnie! Kill all of those mosquitoes!! hehe =) Be safe and always know that we are always praying for you! aja! I know you will make the best out of this experience! "Save alot of Kids!" ;) <3 You sis! ((muahhh muahh KIsss kiss!)

Anonymous said...

Noona ,this is Yong joo
We all miss you. I hope everything is ok there
Take care

daniel pak said...

hi lois! be safe and be careful!! u can do it!