Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Food...

Those of you who know me know that I like food...
Eating it, making it, talking about it, reading about it, taking pictures of it...

And those of you familiar with my trip last year know that I don't have a strong affinity to the rice and sauce people eat here. So I was thinking that this time, I should bring some "add hot water" instant things - but forgot to pick up ramen-- oops.

So they have these western-style supermarkets in the western side of Freetown (Freetown is often separated into two parts, the east and the west. The Western side is the "nice" side where all the international aid organizations have their national offices and the touristy places are - its the side of town you're most likely to see expats.) and OMG. they have everything. for reals. including Korean ramen - no joke. So I got the neighbors to boil water for me and made myself some ramen. It was a really, really nice treat. So here, I present evidence:



I made a friend out at the Masiaka Junction. Auntie Fanta is actually Dr. Barrie's aunt (something I found out after I befriended her). She owns the shop at the junction where I get my cold water and soft drinks. I think she thinks I'm just really cute - everybody here gets a kick out of me trying to speak Temne (say: tim-innie). So yesterday, she gave me two HUGE mangoes and a papaya. I devoured them with the neighbor's children and the staff. The length of the mango was about that of my foot - no joke - HUGE mango. The picture doesn't do justice to just how huge and sweet the thing was. The thing is, I can take pictures before I cut it, but after I cut it, my hands (and face) are soaked in mango juices so there really is no getting to the camera in between to take action shots of mango consumption. lol ;)


6 comments:

daniel pak said...

wowowowow that is a huge mango. i wish i could have some..=)

Camilia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Camilia said...

You are doing amazing work Lois. I always keep you in my thoughts! It sounds like things are going well, despite setbacks. I'm glad to hear that :) You are so admirable, I can't even describe it. I know you have the strength to keep up your marvelous good work.

H said...

I second Camilia. Lots of love from your "gege"!

Unknown said...

Unnie!!!! My beeeauutiful sister! Did you save a piece of that mango for me? ;P you know i absolutely loove mangos...mmmhmmm....must've been really yummy! Stay healthy sis!! I <3 you!!

kasijan said...

둘째 삼촌이 한국에서

많은 것을 느끼고 체험하기를 바란다.
블로거에서 네 글 잘 읽고 있다

너로 인하여 주위사람들이 늘 즐거하는
아름이 되기를 바라며...

도전은 아름답다.
화이팅